Sunday 15 June 2008

Writer's Block

Well, between being busy at work and wasting lots of time, I haven't posted in ages.

I suppose I'm posting just to lament about my terrible writer's block. I have no idea what to write about. I'm torn between just wanting to write "a story" (in the sense of Stephen King's critique...see his intro to The Bauchman Books and read Danse Macabre to get a sense of what I mean), wanting to write "prose like liquid poetry" (a phrase I just made up to both commend parody the style of Ondaatje, who I just read), and wanting to insert some level of meaning, significance, or emotion into it. The first two I can likely handle just fine, but the last... it doesn't jive well with the first, especially when you don't have a plot or really anything to say. C. S. Lewis once said something about not trying to be original; just tell the truth and by the time you'll probably find you were original anyway.

I mean, I have general ideas...at some point I want to write something about the lives of folks in Fort McMurray. A collection of short stories, sort of thing. But I have nothing coming as far as short stories are concerned.

Well, that's enough whining. I'll sign off now.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin