Saturday 4 October 2008

Blades

As did a friend of mine, I just bought new razor blades. By "just," I mean on Wednesday. I haven't actually shaved since then, so this morning was the first time I broke them out. I had forgotten how excellently smooth new blades are. I've been using the same blade for about three months now, and it's been a bit of a pain. If I forgo shaving for even one day, the hairs get long enough that they'll pull when I shave with the worn blade, and that hurts. Also, I have to shave over the same place more than once. My skin is used to it, so it's not as though I irritate it or anything, but it's still a nuisance.

Today, however, was bliss. One stroke was all it needed. Under my chin I shaved twice--one each way--which I always find is necessary, but it was still just about the fastest shave I've had in months. And much more effective. What a beautiful thing, new blades. I cut myself, which was probably inevitable. Theoretically it's worn blades that should be more likely to cut you, but I'm beginning to think that that's no longer the case for me. Not sure why--maybe because the blades are so dull that I'm used to being able to jig them sideways a bit and not cut myself, and now that's not an option? One way or the other, the cut was worth it. What a wonderful experience with which to enter the world.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin