Tuesday 7 October 2008

Running and Reading

G'day.

As I wrote earlier today, I went to Running and Reading--as a coach, that is. If you're unfamiliar with the program, it involves going to high-needs schools and coaching a program whereby students from grades 2-6 (grade 1 being introduced after Christmas) spend about one hour preparing for a 5k marathon and one hour reading and eating a healthy snack.

I joined sort of on the spur of the moment and I wasn't sure how well I would enjoy it. I felt that I ought to be involved in this particular program, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to be. That worry was largely appeased today. I had a lot of fun, and felt much healthier than I have all week. Granted, I felt miserable shortly afterwards, but, what can you expect? I'm not much of a runner and I can hardly breathe with this head-cold.

There are some obvious problem children there, the antics of which I will not get into. There are also some children who show serious problems in reading--either in ability or inclination--and I think that this is something we can work on. We will see how it goes.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin