Sunday 7 December 2008

It Hurts...

...it's so funny. And true.
I'm thinking about this one: http://xkcd.com/481/

But this one will do: http://xkcd.com/513/


Oh, and this one! http://xkcd.com/468/ This sucker's pretty deep nerd. I was proud at first that I got it--you have to have a basic knowledge of the philosophy of mathematics--but then I realized how very very low I've sunk into nerdom that I was proud that I got a xkcd reference that I doubted many others got. It's something I'll have to live with, but...
And everytime I hear Whitehead is still imagine him as a giant pimple.

[Edit 7 Jan 09] Because of the remote possibility of a new democraphic of people reading this blog, I've removed certain elements from comments to this blog. Let's just say I didn't want anyone's feelings getting hurt. It's highly unlikely that it's you we were talking about, so there's no need to be paranoid; also, it wasn't all that bad; you'd probably just prefer you weren't used in the discussion at hand.

The parts of the posts that were fine, and need to be given for the following posts to make sense, are as follows:

Jon Wong says: Ick, while I don't pretend that comic 513 never happens, I don't like it because it gives nice guys a bad rep. I have a hardcore, anti-nice-guy friend (if you can believe it) who can't seem to break out of her extremely set conviction that all nice guys behave like that guy in comic 513.

English Clergyman says: The reason I posted it is because it's something I would have attempted in an earlier, stupider, more selfish and obsessive incarnation. Thus "It hurts". And that guy's not really a 'nice guy.' He's actually just a coward. There's a difference.

4 comments:

JW said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christian H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JW said...

You're exactly right. And that's my problem. You don't see him as a "nice guy". I don't see him as a "nice guy". We both agree he's just a coward. However, I have a friend who thinks that that is exactly what it means to be a nice guy. And I'm not pretending to know her; she referenced this exact comic with the caption of how it's another take on the "woe-is-me-because-I'm-a-nice-guy" perspective. I didn't want to get sucked into the debate again but I was very close to commenting with "That guy is not a nice guy... he just has no backbone".

MsKarenAu said...

hello, Mr. Clergyman!

i was about to comment on how much i love xkcd when i saw Jon's comment, and i just HAD to say something.

"However, I have a friend who thinks that that is exactly what it means to be a nice guy. And I'm not pretending to know her; she referenced this exact comic with the caption of how it's another take on the "woe-is-me-because-I'm-a-nice-guy" perspective."

hahaha oh Jon.. you honestly think i believe this guy is a nice guy? this guy is the same self-proclaimed nice guy who feigns as a nice guy, but is actually just an awkward douche. you've definitely misunderstood me if you think i'm "anti-nice guy".

check your comment box for my latest comment in our debate. i'm not anti-nice-guy. i'm anti-"nice guys finish last". big difference. it's just unfortunate that i had trouble articulating my reasoning before, and we never really did finish that debate of ours.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin