Tuesday 23 December 2008

Movie Review: Aeon Flux



[Note: spoilers.]

Aeon Flux: Perfectly mediocre. I did not expect much, and that's what I got. It's a serviceable sci-fi utopian deal, and the secret past gimmick was not a huge surprise. As always, they got the technology a little wrong--as with The Island, there's no reason cloning should work like that--but whatever. And the female assassin bit worked exactly as I expected, so nothing wrong there. I was a bit surprised when she was overcome with lust for her archenemy and proceeded to lay him, and I was also a little surprised when she handily killed him afterwards--but then didn't after all. I expected a bit more interesting characterization when she strangled him, but maybe I oughtn't have.

One thing that bothered me (as with Daredevil) was characters' ability to move at peak human performance despite crippling injuries. Aeon's four-handed sidekick managed to continue acrobatics after getting her hand-feet pierced by those nasty grass-razors, for instance, and the male lead managed to assault his clone-brother despite his bullet-wounds. Unlikely.

Everything said and done, it was an enjoyable movie, but not one that you should feel any qualms at all about missing. Likely, you've seen enough similar movies already that you needn't see this one. Unless you really care to see Charleze Theron in those bizarre supposedly futuristic outfits, which often double for no outfit at all (left). I'd also be interested in hearing ecocritical readings of the film.

1 comment:

Scumbag Sam said...

Granted - its a half hearted attempt of Sci-fi and Eutopian civilisation threatened by overbearing rulers who want to do whats right, but end up doing whats right for THEMSELVES instead of the greater good... Its nice visually - CT's outfits are amazing, even if they are hardly there, damn her!
I actually liked the twist at the end, what with how they actually knew each other etc (I aint spoilin' nuttin!), but the eventual 'happy ending' was dullsville. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin