Friday 20 August 2010

7 Quick Takes (54)

1. More have left work.

2. I have likely attended St. Thomas' Anglican Church for the last time until Christmas. I will miss some of those folks.
In case you were wondering, there were no spiritual fireworks. About half of the people I wanted to say Goodbye and Thank-you to were there, but that's more than I anticipated. I had no brilliant realizations. Afterwards, I picked crabapples from the tree outside. They were wonderful: red, sweet, firm.

3. I went to see The Expendables and The Sorceror's Apprentice. Both were predictable but enjoyable. Maybe I will write about The Sorceror's Apprentice, and this tendency in movies to make magic scientific.
Incidentally, I need to write about my takes on the portrayal of magic in books, movies, and other media. Things people are saying, especially regarding Harry Potter, is starting to irk me.

4. I can tell from the ads alone that they are changing things in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. le sigh.
In fact I do not get all that antsy about changes in film adaptations if the changes are understandable. We will have to see.

5. I got another pile of books from a coworker who is culling her library. I don't understand it, but I like it.

6. This weekend my friend and I explored. He is new to town, see. So we went up to the oil sands and looked at the Giants of the Sand exhibit. We went to a place connected with his upcoming job. We went to the MacDonald Island Rec Centre and library (I got Persuasion out; apparently I was supposed to read it, not Sense and Sensibility). There was visiting, and walking.

7. On Sunday afternoon I gave him and his travelling companion a tour of the Park. I was already giving a tour to a coworker's family, so I thought these two could tag along. And then two families of regular visitors tagged along, too, getting a free tour. By the end they were so forward that they were getting into the buildings before my actual guests did, and stood in the more convenient locations. Again, le sigh.

And that is all for now. Please visit Jen Fullwiler, host of this fine blog carnival.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin